Cara sederhana untuk melihat sepintas perbedaan keduanya adalah pada contoh berikut:
- You say something
- You tell someone something.
|You say something||You tell someone something|
|Ram said that he was tired.||Ram told Jane that he was tired.|
|Anthony says you have a new job.||Anthony tells me you have a new job.|
|Tara said: “I love you.”||Tara told John that she loved him.|
Kita biasanya mengikuti kata tell dengan sebuah objek personal (orang yang dengannya kita berbicara). Kita biasa menggunakan say tanpa diikuti objek personal:
- She told me that she loved John.
- She said that she loved John.
- He told everybody that he had to leave.
- He said that he had to leave.
Say “to someone”
Dengan say, kita kadang-kadang menggunakan “to someone”:
- He said to me that he was tired.
- Tara said to Ram that he had done very well.
- “I’d like to sleep,” she said to him quietly.
Kita bisa menggunakan say dengan direct speech. Kita menggunakan tell hanya dengan direct speech yang merupakan sebuah instruksi atau informasi:
- Amanda said, “Hello John. How are you?”
- “That’s great” she said.
- He told her: “Open the door quietly.”
- She told me, “I have never been to England.”
Kita bisa menggunakan say dengan pertanyaan langsung, tetapi kita tidak dapat menggunakan tell:
- She said: “Do you love me?”
- The policeman said to the prisoner, “Where were you at 8pm?”
Kita bisa menggunakan say dan tell untuk berbicara tentang informasi yang dilaporkan (reported):
- She said that it was raining.
- She told me that she would call at 2pm.
Kita tidak bisa menggunakan say atau tell untuk berbicara tentang pertanyaan yang dilaporkan. Kita harus menggunakan ask (atau kata kerja serupa):
- She asked if I had ever been there.
- They asked what I wanted to eat.
- She asked where he lived.
- He asked if she wanted to go home.
Kita menggunakan tell + objek + infinitif untuk perintah atau nasihat:
- She told him to sit down.
- They told me not to wait.
- Tell Neil to have a holiday and forget her.
Berikut beberapa frase yang selalu digunakan dengan tell. Kita tidak dapat menggunakan say bersama dengan frase-frase ini:
- tell (someone) a story
- tell (someone) a lie
- tell (someone) the truth
- tell the future (= to know what the future will bring)
- tell the time (= know how to read a clock)
Benar dan salah
Silakan baca contoh-contoh berikut tentang penggunaan yagn benar dan yang salah:
|We cannot…||Ini contoh yang tidak mungkin…||Ini contoh yang mungkin|
|say someone to do something||Tara said Jo to go away.||Tara told Jo to go away.|
|say someone something||Panita said me that she was hungry.||Panita told me that she was hungry.|
|tell something||He told that he likes coffee.||He said that he likes coffee.|
|tell to someone||Tookta told to me that she was coming.||Tookta told me that she was coming.|
|Tookta said to me that she was coming.|
|say a lie||Siriluck always says lies.||Siriluck always tells lies.|
|tell somebody “direct speech” |
(except instructions and information)
|Ram told Nok: “Let’s turn on the TV.”||Ram said to Nok: “Let’s turn on the TV.”|
|(Ram told Nok, “Turn on the TV.”)|
|(Ram told Nok: “I was born in 1985.”)|
|say or tell a reported question||She said if I wanted to come.||She asked if I wanted to come.|
|Tookta told what I wanted to do.||Took asked what I wanted to do.|